Sunday, November 27, 2005

Warning: Yarn Store Content

I've been debating for the last hour or so about whether I should share my yarn store experience from earlier today, or whether I should just keep it to myself.

I think I'll share....

I am not going to name this particular yarn store, but I'll tell you that it is one of my favorites, and is still one of my favorites, but this was just one bad experience, and I still encourage you to check them out. I went in to get some yarn for socks, but I came out with a healthy dose of attitude.

I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about things that are knitting related, and sock-knitting related in particular. I was definitely not treated as such today. Before I asked anything, I asked the two ladies if they were sock knitters (they were not). I have never heard sock-knitting treated so trivially as I did today. I was told that:

a) Debbie Bliss Cashmerino would be "wasted" on socks of any kind.

b) That "Unnamed Store" did not "specialize" in socks (imagine the word "socks" being used as a bad taste in one's mouth + a hefty helping of attitude).

c) That 32" circular needles were "really long" (like I had no idea).

d) That a 10" circular needle did not exist, and even if it did, it would be "totally useless" (Note: they do exist and some people love them)

There was more, but I think you get the idea. I have never come out of a yarn store feeling treated so poorly.

I was thinking about just not buying anything, but then I figured I shouldn't punish myself for their poor customer service. Argh. I hate this. Why can't people just be respectful?


I have good news as well. My Mom picked me up to go for coffee this afternoon so I could take a break from my super long essay (4500 words and counting). When she got here, she suggested a late brunch at Trafalgars (our absolute favorite lunch spot!).

We both had eggs benedict, and it was amazing, as usual.

We also had the best waitress ever (whom we have had before, and thought she was fabulous then too). Get this: SHE KNITS TOO!! So we were able to talk knitting for a little bit. If she started coming to Stitch 'n Bitch too, I might start going again. YAY, Claire!! (you should totally email me if you read this).

It's really dark now, or I'd post a pic of my new yarn. I promise a good pic update soon. I've actually been working on a simple garter stitch scarf for myself. I don't have a nice handknit scarf for myself.

Here's a random observation: The Blogger spell-checker always tries to change "knitter" to "janitor". I always have a good laugh about that!
Until tomorrow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obviously that woman has never had good socks.