Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Think I'm Getting Discouraged

Today is day 5 of the job hunt, and let me tell you, it is not going well. I've applied for about 15+ positions, and not one call back yet.

It's difficult, because I'm not sure what I want to do, and even if I knew, I don't have any experience in anything relevant, so I couldn't get the job. At this point, I just want to work, so I don't have to worry about paying February's rent, and my growing Visa bill.

Why didn't someone tell me that a Bachelor of Arts degree in English was useless? Why? Why? Why?

My mom says that a degree is something that no one can take away from you, and that's part of its value. I don't think I could pay someone to take this one away, because there's just no demand.

Maybe I should start thinking about doing something unconventional. Maybe start my own business or something. Maybe, dare I say it, go back to school and get a useful credential. No, I'm not quite that desperate yet.

Maybe I should just start picking out my cardboard box. I hate job searching, and I don't think that job searching likes me much either.

I just spend and hour and a half searching monster.ca and workopolis for jobs, and I applied for a few. I don't think I'll have much luck though.

I'm not even sure I want any of the jobs I applied for. I just want to go and hide where there is no phone, so I can't get any calls, and just knit all day forever.

I guess I'm like a lot of people...Nothing comes easily for me, and every day is a constant struggle.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi! Just found your blog and wondered if you considered teaching? I taught high school English for four years before leaving to stay home with my babies. I do think I will go back at some point. Also, have you thought of copy editing for a book company or magazine. Oh, you could also be a newspaper sponsor at a school or a journalism teacher. Actually, I think a lot of businesses like to hire English majors simply because they can depend on them to be articulate, etc. You could always try working at a yarn store?
Don't be discouraged.

Karen said...

Keep your chin up . . . I know good things are about to come. I am sending tons of positive thoughts and energy your way!!

Abigail said...

Have you tried Phoenix AZ? Schools are always hiring. I work at a school and it's nice only working a 9 months year. No I'm not a teacher. I work in the admin dept.
Just remember nothing good comes easy. Just keep your chin up with a smile:)

chrissie said...

Try not to get too discouraged! It takes a while. Also consider that it is just after the holidays, and some hiring decision making people might be out of the office still, or just catching up on stuff.

Good luck!

Luquee said...

I know how you feel. I live in a farely large city and it's sooo hard to find a job around here. All these places will say that their hiring but it never seems like they really are. Also, in this city, a bachelors degree is the new associates degree. Most employers want you to have a masters! It's so frustrating.