Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Think I'm Getting Discouraged

Today is day 5 of the job hunt, and let me tell you, it is not going well. I've applied for about 15+ positions, and not one call back yet.

It's difficult, because I'm not sure what I want to do, and even if I knew, I don't have any experience in anything relevant, so I couldn't get the job. At this point, I just want to work, so I don't have to worry about paying February's rent, and my growing Visa bill.

Why didn't someone tell me that a Bachelor of Arts degree in English was useless? Why? Why? Why?

My mom says that a degree is something that no one can take away from you, and that's part of its value. I don't think I could pay someone to take this one away, because there's just no demand.

Maybe I should start thinking about doing something unconventional. Maybe start my own business or something. Maybe, dare I say it, go back to school and get a useful credential. No, I'm not quite that desperate yet.

Maybe I should just start picking out my cardboard box. I hate job searching, and I don't think that job searching likes me much either.

I just spend and hour and a half searching monster.ca and workopolis for jobs, and I applied for a few. I don't think I'll have much luck though.

I'm not even sure I want any of the jobs I applied for. I just want to go and hide where there is no phone, so I can't get any calls, and just knit all day forever.

I guess I'm like a lot of people...Nothing comes easily for me, and every day is a constant struggle.

4 comments:

me said...

Hi! Just found your blog and wondered if you considered teaching? I taught high school English for four years before leaving to stay home with my babies. I do think I will go back at some point. Also, have you thought of copy editing for a book company or magazine. Oh, you could also be a newspaper sponsor at a school or a journalism teacher. Actually, I think a lot of businesses like to hire English majors simply because they can depend on them to be articulate, etc. You could always try working at a yarn store?
Don't be discouraged.

Karen said...

Keep your chin up . . . I know good things are about to come. I am sending tons of positive thoughts and energy your way!!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Phoenix AZ? Schools are always hiring. I work at a school and it's nice only working a 9 months year. No I'm not a teacher. I work in the admin dept.
Just remember nothing good comes easy. Just keep your chin up with a smile:)

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I live in a farely large city and it's sooo hard to find a job around here. All these places will say that their hiring but it never seems like they really are. Also, in this city, a bachelors degree is the new associates degree. Most employers want you to have a masters! It's so frustrating.