Monday, January 09, 2006

Secret Pal 7

For the first time ever, I am taking part in a secret pal!! I've been watching other knitting bloggers participate for a while now, and have always wanted to take part. I figured that Secret Pal 7 would be a great place to jump in!

The Questions---


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

I am a total yarn snob! There, I've admitted it. A tiny bit of artificial content is okay though (I'd say 30% or less). Hey, I guess I'm also a very specific yarn snob.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I have used a drop spindle and have done some crocheting in the past, but I don't any more. I'd rather be knitting.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I just got a blue Lantern Moon Silk Needle Case for Xmas. The rest are randomly located in my yarn bins, behind couch cushions, under the couch, etc.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learned to knit when I was about 5 (knitting off and on for a few years), then I picked it up again when I was 18 (I'm 22 now). I'd say that I am somewhere between intermediate and advanced, leaning towards the advanced side.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Nope.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Hmm... I like vanilla, bergamot, lavender.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I do have a bit of a sweet tooth. My favorites are chocolate, and anything chewy, like gummy bears, caramel, etc. Oh yeah, I love caramel!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I've tried lots of things, but I'm an utter failure at most of them. I stick to the knitting!

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD).

My computer, and my iPod both love MP3s. I mostly like rap and hip-hop, but I'm also loving INXS right now, and Nickelback, and I love Celtic music. Okay, honestly, I love all kinds of music. I've even been known to enjoy some country music once in a while.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I usually stick with blues, greens, reds, pinks, and pale purple. I love pastels, but rarely buy them (I don't know why I don't). I've ordered some Sunshine Yarn, so come back in a few days to see my ideal colours. I think they're fairly representative.

I stay away from browns. I find them a bit boring. Oh, and I don't really like neons, or bright orange or yellow. Super muted of these is fine though.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I live with my fiance, our little (obnoxious) grey tabby, and several small tropical fish.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I rarely leave the house without a scarf. I never wear hats. Sometimes mittens. I'm not totally into ponchos.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Fancy hand dyed sock yarns, merino, cashmere, anything handpainted, soft wool.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Acrylic!! I don't really like cotton all that much either.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Socks! They are by far my favorite thing to knit. I could knit them all day everyday. I've also been working on lace on socks. Fun fun!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Socks.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Um...socks, baby stuff, booties, sweater, blanket, etc (for my new niece), Bolero Jacket from Simply Soft (Debbie Bliss). I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of it right now.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Circs.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Addi Turbos. Actually I've always wanted a to try the short straight plastic fruity coloured needles from Crystal Palace.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yes, both.

22. How did you learn to knit?

My Grandma, then books.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

Maybe a year?

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I'm really starting to like Hello Kitty.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Yarn.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I don't have any, but I like VK, and have always wanted to get my hands on a copy of IK.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I girl can always use more sock yarn! The fruity Crystal Palace needles (above). I can't really think of any patterns, but I always keep an eye out for easy lace sock patterns.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I leaned lots of new techniques over the last year, so I'm just sort of running with them.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Totally! My foot is 10 inches long, 9 inches around the ball of my foot, and my ankle is 9.5 inches around.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

April 27.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thanks for posting this... and beautiful work on those Jaywalkers! Erin (Your SP7 hostess)