Sunday, July 02, 2006

Building A Log Cabin One Stitch At A Time

Yesterday I was over at January One, and I noticed that Cara has posted instructions about how to make Log Cabin Squares. I'd been admiring her squares for a while, so I was glad to see a post about how do create them.

I've been on a bit of a dishcloth kick for the last couple of days, so I thought a log cabin dishcloth would be a neat idea.

This is fairly true to color (on my monitor anyway). This is the first time that I haven't found garter stitch to be truly boring.

I also did a crocheted round dishcloth out of the same yarn. Actually, neither will really be dishcloths in the traditional sense. I'm planning to use them more as hand towels.


Specs:

Mission Falls 1824 Cotton (100% cotton) -- 2 Colors

4mm Addi Turbo (for the Log Cabin)

4.5 mm Crochet hook (for the crocheted one)

I'd worked on dishcloths before, but I'd always used Sugar 'n Cream, or that other stuff that looks the same, but I can't remember the name of. That was miserable, because of all the splitting, and it just never felt nice in my hands.

I thought I'd have to give up on ever making a dishcloth that I'd like, but when I was browsing at my LYS, I came across the 1824 cotton, and I immediately thought "Yes! That will be perfect!". Then I started second guessing myself, and ignoring my own knitting mantra of "Knit whatever you want out of whatever you want, there are no rules!". This only happened because I'd never heard of anyone knitting dishcloths out of anything but Sugar 'n Cream.

With a brief consult from a LYS employee, I decided to give it a try. Boy am I glad I did. This is fabulous!

If you want to knit a dishcloth out of something a bit fancier that the usual, give 1824 cotton a try. I also think that something like this would make a great gift. I could totally picture 3 log cabin dishcloths in complementary colors folded in quarters and wrapped up by ribbon as a totally good gift.

Watch out friends and family-- It might happen!

I'm really excited about the blue and natural colors I have left to knit up. Can you tell the log cabin one is my favorite?

1 comment:

Monika said...

Hi Chrissy! Log Cabin's are a great knit! There are so many possibilities. Have fun with your cotton knitting.