Monday, July 03, 2006

Crochet? Acrylic? I Thought This Was A Knitting Blog Of A Fibre Snob!?!

What do we have here?

I keep forgetting to post my crocheted afghan progress. It's really just a practice blanket, but I'm really liking it so far. I'm going to do a big square for the middle that will be equal to four regular squares.

All of the pastel colors remind me of icing on a cupcake.

I'm just doing the crocheted granny squares from Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker book. All of the normal sized ones have 5 rounds.

Specs:

4.5 mm crochet hook

8 balls of worsted weight yarn (2 of each color): I've used Bernat Satin in the most icing-like colors I could find.

For those who don't know, Bernat Satin is 100% acrylic, which is totally unlike me. I really wanted something that could go in the washer and dryer though.

One word of warning though. DO NOT TRY TO KNIT OR CROCHET WITH THIS YARN ON A HOT DAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE FEEL OF ACRYLIC!! It magnifies that squeaky sweaty feeling. Eeeewwww.

With our heat wave, I've been alternating between other projects that use either wool or cotton. I think that cotton is actually better to knit with when it's hot than when it's cold out.

These squares are great for knitting on the bus, or on a lunch break. That's what I've been doing (up until the heat).

I had to get a picture of my picture taking helper. He was supervising. This is his "Get back to work" look! Is there such a thing as a cat that isn't bossy or opinionated? Regardless, I love my little supervisor.

2 comments:

Larjmarj said...

I have some acrylic afghans floating around the casa here...nothing wrong with that.
I like the color combo's that you're using very deco or fiesta ware.

Anonymous said...

I love how you can mix and match colors on those granny square. And acrylic's easy care is a bonus! Hope the weather cools off a bit soon.