Saturday, July 08, 2006

You Should Watch Who You Say, "Do You Wanna See My Goodies?" To...


However, I know that you knitters would like to see them, and I shall not disappoint!

Yes, I am talking about yarn!

I met up with a fellow knitter and blogger yesterday morning for a bit of shopping and a cup of coffee. You can visit her blog here. We had an awesome time.

We started out at Urban Yarns, where I had a bit of a list of things I wanted to look at. I always make myself a "things to look at" list when going to the yarn store, because I get distracted too easily.


Since I bought Weekend Knitting, I've been wanting to get some Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille, and I figured I'd have to order it online. I had a quick peek, and I found it at my LYS. They must of just gotten it in. I ended up getting 4 skeins. I also picked up some needles and yarn bobbins (for fair isle knitting). All in all it was a pretty reasonable trip money wise.

We stopped at Starbucks for a coffee afterwards, before deciding to check out Homecraft Importers (a LYS in Kitsilano).

From there, Emmie picked up some super happy hot pink yarn to make herself a cell phone cover. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I found myself some 4.5 mm Addis (I think I used to have one, but it's gone now), and, okay, this really doesn't sound like me....

I bought novelty yarn! I'm still in shock. I think it was the vibrancy of the colors. It seems like I can't help myself, if it is bright green, I must have it.



It's ribbon yarn, and I only bought 2 balls of it. And it was on sale for $3.50/ball, so it wasn't that expensive.

On the way back to the car, we stopped in a little clothing store, where I found a hand woven shawl that I just had to have. Guess what? It's Green! Oh, and it was only $20. It's in the picture below.


Overall, I didn't end up spending very much money yesterday, but last night I had a terrifying dream that I was trying to buy an electric women's razor (I have no idea why. Maybe it's my subconscious trying to tell me to shave my legs!), and both my credit cards were maxed out. So I couldn't buy anything. The other weird thing was that I think that the store clerk was that Italian detective from Law and Order. Isn't that I weird dream? That's it! I'm not eating all you can eat sushi before bed again!

I just wanted to add that I'm really glad there is some interest in my Fetching KAL. I was saying to Stu that it must be the ultimate dis to start a KAL and have no one join. Luckily that hasn't happened to me. I'll be doing my updates for that today.

Knitting Progress:

I've completed a full pair of socks. The second one was finished yesterday morning, and I looked like a complete freak to the neighbours while I tried to get some pictures to share. I was out on the deck, because the light is best out there, and I was looking for a relatively clean surface to use as a background. "A Ha!", I thought. "I'll use the outside freezer!". So there I was at 8am, in my bright pink over-sized flannel pyjamas with teddy bears on them, squished up against the wall (so I could move my feet around and have them stay on the white background), taking pictures of my own feet.

There we're a couple people who walked buy, who actually gave me very weird looks!

Do you think that a few years from now the phrase "I'm a knitter" will be used like the whole "Don't blame me, I'm getting older ya know"?

For example, two friends walk past an apartment balcony and witness someone in pink pj's madly snapping pictures of her feet in different positions. The first one says to the friend, "What's wrong with her, she looks crazy to me!". The second friend, who has passed buy this seemingly crazy woman several times before, turns to her friend and says, "Don't worry about her. She's just a knitter".


Do yo know what I mean? Would it be one of those phrases that's used to excuse odd behavior? Think about it, it could happen.

Sorry I got a bit sidetracked. Okay, sock specs:

Koigu KPPPM in a flecky pretty purple.

2.5mm 32" Addi Turbo Circ (for magic loop).

Pattern:

Peacock Socks from Katie Knits.

I didn't do the fancy toe, and I made the ankles a bit shorter. This is a really good simple pattern!

The very top picture is of my Fetching progress yesterday afternoon. I love the color of the Crystal Palace bamboo dpns with the blue Cashmerino.

3 comments:

knitfriendly said...

I am happy that you started the KAL too! I just started a knitting group in my area and I was really worried that no one was going to show up or sign up for the group. It was really nice when people came and singed up! You may want to put the words "Fetching KAL" on the blog somewhere so that when people google it they find it. I wasn't able to find it when I googled it and that is how I usually find KALs. Beatiful socks btw!

Wired for Fibre said...

The socks look great, even if they did cause you to get some odd looks. The colour is gorgeous.

Dave said...

Your Peacock socks are beautiful. Thanks very much for sharing the link to the pattern -- I will have to make some.

Your "knitter's excuse" is hilarious! I know just how you feel :-)