Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sometimes Life Gets In The Way...

It's been a busy week at our house. Okay, not really that busy, but it has been tiring. Wednesday night, after I went to bed, Stu was in the living room and the cats were outside on the deck. He hears a scratching noise, and goes outside to investigate, and doesn't really see anything out of the ordinary. The cat is just sitting on his favorite chair. For some random reason, he looked over the side of our balcony, and he saw our kitten, Redd, on the ground below.

This wouldn't be such a big deal, but we live on the second floor, and the entrance to the parking garage runs under our deck, so it's more like being three floors up, and it's concrete, not grass, below.

Stu ran downstairs (which involves a maze through the building), and managed to grab Redd. He was walking, but he looked so pathetic (he was limping pretty bad). When he brought Redd back in, he woke me up, and I was worried, so I didn't sleep well.

Anyways, Redd looks like he's going to be okay. No broken bones, teeth, tail, or internal damage. His left back leg is still a bit sore (because of the slope, he hit the ground with the left side of his body first).

Results:

The rail around our balcony is about a foot wide, so around the outside of it, Stu has put up a lattice fence.

The pictures show the fence, as well as the drop.

The cat's are not actively trying to escape, they just slip. No one had ever fallen before.

Knitting---

I have been knitting, and crocheting a little bit. I put a cream colored border around the crocheted baby blanked, so other than one tiny end, it's done.

I also started Hedera from Knitty.com. I'm using the pale blue and green yarn that I dyed. I love the yarn, but I don't like the pattern. Actually, that's not true, I only dislike the first round. Unfortunately, when it's a 4 round repeat, you end up doing that first row a lot.

It is going super fast. I'm part way down the foot. And I've only put a couple of hours into it so far. I did a short row heel from the knitty tutorial I talked about a few posts ago, and there are no holes in my heels. Really, not even a little one. It's amazing.

I was lurking on Grumperina's blog earlier, and saw her progress on the Whitby sock from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush. It looks amazing. To be honest, this sock hadn't appealed to me before, but now I have to make it.

I went by Three Bags Full (my new absolute favorite LYS!), and picked up some Lorna's Laces Shepard Sport in Periwinkle. Beeeeuuutiful! I think I'll start those tonight.

The yardage is a bit less on the Sport, so I'm going to adapt the pattern to be toe-up. I haven't done this before, but I think I've got it figured out. It's a really symmetrical pattern, so I just need to switch around the directions of the cables.

Speaking of cables---

I started the Central Park Hoodie from the Fall 2006 KnitScene. Really, I only got the ribbing done on the first sleeve, so it's not all that interesting. I continue to fly by the seat of my pants, without doing a gauge swatch. Mwah haha. Someday it'll bite me in the ass. I'm expecting it.

I will blog tomorrow. I will blog tomorrow. I will blog tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your kitten is okay!

I've started a sleeve on the CP hoodie, too. I'm a little concerned that it will be a bit snug. But the yarn I'm using does grow when it's washed, so I'm hoping it'll be okay.

Your sock is very pretty. You're a fast sock knitter!

Anonymous said...

Kitty now has 8 lives, eh? ;o) Glad she's okay :o)

That sock looks cool - I have two skeins of LL in Periwinkle, too. LOVE it!