Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Finished Brother Socks!

Yesterday, while home sick, I finished the pair of socks I was making for my brother. It's a good thing he doesn't read the blog, so I can freely tell you about them. Note: This is Christmas present number one done!

I've made a Christmas present policy --- If it isn't finished (or damn close to it (like a toe needs to be finished or something)), by December 1st, then it will not be a valid Christmas gift. Period. No Christmas knitting stress. It occurs to me that I may experience some anxiety leading up to Dec. 1st though.

Back to the sock at hand---

Actually, I think he might suspect they're for him. After some debate about the foot being too long on the first one, I had him try it on. Obviously, it was to long which is why I showed you how I shortened it.
Specs:

Cast on 72 stitches
Needles: 2.75mm Crystal Palace Bamboo dpns. (Warning! 2.75mm needles with a 72 st cast on make for a VERY wide sock!!). I would cast on probably 10 sts fewer in the future for a better fit. My bro doesn't have small feet either.

Yarn: Indigo Moon Superwash Sock in Forest Green. Very squishy. Very Pretty. Very expensive. (Not worth the price in my books. I'd be able to get a skein and a half of STR for the same price.) Don't get me wrong, it's very nice, but very pricey for the variegated. Very pricey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your socks turned out great! What a nice present. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a great color! Pretty, yet manly for a brother!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks and I'm really liking the idea for minimzing the Christmas knitting stress. Very sound and logical to not be knitting like a fiend at 3 am on Christmas morning. :)

lexa said...

I really like the color! I'm sure he'll love them. :)

Anonymous said...

hello! I just wanted to let you know that your socks are taking a little while to dry (it's very humid right now in my part of the world), so I may not be able to get them in the mail until August 2. But don't worry, you will have them in not too, too long! (P.S. I'm so very impressed that you've begun your Christmas knits already!)