Saturday, October 13, 2007

Books & Malabrigo...

Boy oh boy, do I have some scrumptious new goodies! All of these are thanks to the Rising Canadian dollar/lower USD. I have a US address I use in Point Roberts, so I can also take advantage of the lower American postage costs. All I have to do is go down, pick the stuff up and bring it back across the border. Easy-peasy!

First, the books!
I placed my first ever Amazon.com order last Monday morning. I am now the proud owner of 4 Elizabeth Zimmermann books! Knitter's Almanac, Knitting Workshop, The Opinionated Knitter, and Knitting Without Tears. I'd better be careful, I'll have other knitters trying to break in to get at all of my knitting books. I can't wait to start reading!

My other package was full of Malabrigo! Talk about a heavenly box! I don't think the border guards got my enthusiasm.

3 skeins of Malabrigo Worsted in Azul Profundo. This is the same color I used for my own My So Called Scarf. I had to get more, because when my brother saw my scarf, he wanted one. I tried to convince him to have a different color or different yarn, but with no success. He wanted the exact same one.

I'll be using more than 2 skeins to make his scarf nice and long.

...And 7 skeins of Malabrigo Worsted in Forest. This luscious yarn is all for me. I will be using it for this Drops Jacket that so many people have been knitting. I even think it's an attainable knit for this year.

The reasons I had to get the yarn in the US were
  1. My lys did not have any more Azul Profundo.
  2. My lys charges $16.95/skein
  3. Personal Threads charges $10.95/skein
  4. The Canadian and US dollars are pretty much the same.
I was very impressed with Personal Threads in Omaha, Nebraska. They shipped so quickly. I ordered on Monday afternoon (Monday was a holiday), and on Wednesday morning at 8am my package had arrived at the post office. Everything was packaged well, and I'd definitely order from them again. PS. They are also Lime & Violet's LYS. Cool, huh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh VERY yummy colors. I'm going to be starting a jacket in Malabrigo soon myself and I really like the green there - I've not seen that one in person but it looks gorgeous on your photo!

Unknown said...

I feel bad for the LYSs here. I was in one on Saturday and only bought a magazine. I kept thinking of how much cheaper everything was if I ordered it.