Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lexie Barnes Knitting Bag!

I have to share my latest knitting acquisition. It's a knitting bag designed by Lexie Barnes!


This bag is in my colors, pink and black, and has little skulls all over it. How cool is that!?! It is also waterproof, which is of utmost importance when it comes to Vancouver's rainy weather.

It has a ton of room in it, and looks stylish enough to use everyday. I think it's even got enough space in it to use as an overnight bag.

It has a very small zippered pocket on the outside near the top. This would be a good fit for a cell phone or iPod.

It also features an outside pocket that would be a perfect place to keep a magazine or your pattern.

The inside is a very pretty pink and has a ton of pockets. I have to say that this bag is refreshingly well constructed, and I can see it lasting a very long time.

You may wonder how I can spend $130 on a knitting bag (guilt free even!). I have a budget. I have been sticking to my budget for the last month, and it is going well. Basically, I get my spending money every Friday, and I have to spend it on whatever I want. That means I can't be buying things like toilet paper or milk or gas (those are accounted for separately in my budget).

So, for the bag, I saved for a bit and was able to buy it for myself. It is so nice to be able to buy something so frivolous and not feel guilty for it.

For the first time in my life, money is not stressing me out. I mean, I used to agonize over every penny I spent, because I had no idea what state my finances were in. I really didn't know if I could afford that latte I was buying. My solution was to charge it and feel stressed and guilty. (Thankfully I have a really low credit limit).

I came home about a month ago, took my debit and credit cards out of my wallet and gave them to Stu to hold onto. I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I am now using cold hard cash instead of my credit and debit cards. I get my cash on Friday and I have to budget that money until the following Friday.

I know that I can afford to spend every penny I spend. Honestly, I have never felt so free!

* The reason I am blogging about this is that money issues are normally something one keeps to oneself, but I'm hoping that my experience can help others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

... LOVE. THE BAG. I adore black and pink, and that bag is absolutely awesome!

Also with you on the money issues, especially the stressed-and-guilty part. Thankfully, when I started college in September, I took a hard look at my finances and sorted out what I had coming from where. I still stress, but not nearly as much--I know which bills have to be paid when and where the money's coming from.

Jennie said...

What a fantastic treat for yourself. Very cool bag!!

Ilix said...

Great bag of course! Where did you find it?

Way to tackle your money! I aspire to have mine in better shape this weekend.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful bag! way to really save for it. Don't you feel like you've earned it that way?

loanesay said...

oooh... i love that bag! good on you for saving for it. im trying to get my finances in order and its really hard, too. so yay! im proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Good for you on budgeting. I am interested in how you are doing with this. Think it is a very timely topic. Is it just me or do things actually mean more when you consciously save or budget for them?