Friday, April 11, 2008

On Making Sock Yarn...

I'm spinning up some more sock yarn. This time it's going to be 2-ply. I don't know what it is about it that makes me like it more than 3-ply.

Here is some more of the roving I picked up from Yummy Yarn a few weeks ago at our Sunday get together. It's 130 grams of BFL.

I figure that 130 grams is about enough for a pair of socks, but really I have no idea, since I have yet to knit sock out of any of my so called sock yarn.

So far I'm just about done the first bobbin of singles of this sock yarn, but I have high hopes that the rest should go fairly quickly.

I think it is turning out really well, and my singles are definitely getting more even and a lot thinner! Soon I'm going to have to do 3-ply yarn to make it heavy enough to do anything with! Hey - - Maybe that's the point of 3-ply!


I don't know what it is about the BFL, but sometimes it breaks when I'm spinning it and it is so hard and very frustrating to get it going again. I go back to where it seems to be pretty well spun and I keep tension on it as I pull it through the orifice, but for some reason it still falls apart a few times before I can get it going again. This hasn't happened with any of the other fibers I've spun, which makes me think it's something BFL specific. Not a huge deal or anything, it just drives me a bit crazy.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

It looks great Chrissy! I have some roving from Yummy Yarn in my stash too. It is SO nice, and I don't want to spin it until I get a little more practice. Seeing yours makes me want to get to iy even more though!