Monday, April 28, 2008

Toe Up...

I am using my new Knitpicks metal dpns for the first time, and I am really enjoying them. The tips are nice and sharp, but not puncture your finger sharp, and the shiny metal looks pretty with the yarn. The surface of these needles is also slippery, but not too slippery.

I'm using my basic toe up sock recipe, but with the type of short row toe that Cat Bordhi demonstrates on youtube.com. There is not one visible wrap or one tiny hole in this toe. The only different thing I do is when I slip the stitch to wrap it, I slip purlwise, even though Cat says to do it knitwise. I've tried both ways, and for me slipping knitwise leaves a bit of a hole.

Cat's short rows have made me a total toe up / short row convert.

I'm using 2.25mm needles for this sock and the yarn is Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Cotton Maya in color number 7026. The blend of this yarn is 45% cotton, 45% wool, and 10% polyamide. It's a nice blend and it feels very soft and smooth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I avoid using dpn's whenever humanly possible however, I love my Options set. If their dpn's are as smooth as the Options they must be lovely to work with. :o)

Ann said...

Welcome to the Toe-Up World. Your short row toe looks great.I love knitting toe-up too as I hate grafting. I do use short row for the heel but most of the time, I use Wendy's gusset heel pattern.