Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cast on: Lucky {you}

I cast on for the Lucky {you} cardigan, by Solenn Couix-Loarer, last night.  If you'd like to learn more about the pattern, here is the Ravelry link.  Solenn has designed both a kids' version and adults' version of this sweater (the adults' version is called Lucky {me}), and honestly I'm dying to make a matching one for myself out of the same yarn.

About 9 rows in...
The yarn I'm using is my favorite workhorse yarn, Cascade 220.  Oddly enough, I think this might be my desert island yarn...I could knit with it forever.

Early stats:

The pattern:

 Lucky {you} by Solenn Couix-Loarer, knit from the top down in one piece with raglan shaping.  I'm knitting the size 4 because I have just enough yarn for it.  This means it'll likely be a while before it fits Jack, but I'm trying to knit the size that maximizes the amount of yarn I use instead of having 3/4 of a ball left.

The yarn: 

 Cascade 220 in color number 8400.  I have 3 hanks of this yarn, which is just enough for the size 4.  The color is a lovely salt and peppery gray.

The needles:

 4.5mm Hiya Hiya sharps.  I have a fixed circular in this size as well as an interchangeable in the same size.  For now I'm using the fixed (24" cord), but if I go up to a longer cord, I'll switch over the the interchangeable.  I'll do the ribbing on 4.0mm needles.

Gauge:

I just finished a sweater out of Cascade 220 on 5.0mm needles with a gauge of 17 stitches per 4 inches.  This sweater calls for 18 stitches over 4 inches, so I've just gone down 1 needle size and didn't swatch.  I figure the 4.5mm needle will take me down at least 1/4 of a stitch every inch.  So far, I'm liking how the fabric knits up and I don't think I'd want it any less dense.  

Today's thoughts:

I'm hoping to get through the yoke today during naptime.  Jack is 13 weeks old today (he'll officially be 3 months old tomorrow), and he slept for a full 8 hours last night (11pm-7am) for the first time.  Most nights we get about 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, so this is cause for celebration!  Too bad I was convinced he wasn't going to stay asleep when he went down at 11pm (he usually goes down between 12am-2am), so I couldn't sleep until almost midnight.

We're thinking about making a trip out to 88 Stitches in Langley today to pick up yarn for my next adult sized sweater.  More on this later. 

No comments: